skip to Main Content
Are You Compliant?

Are You Compliant?

Selling a home is not as easy as putting it on the market and waiting for offers to stream in; it takes a little more preparation, time and effort. Before a change of ownership can take place you must ensure that all of your compliance certificates are valid and up to date. It saves time and money to attend thereto as soon as possible, upon the sale of a property.

Electrical Certificate of Compliance


South Africa’s legislation dictates that all homeowners should have a valid Electrical Certificate of Compliance  (ECOC) when they sell their property. These certificates have a lifespan of two years and confirm that all of the electrical installation and work of your home has met the required standards and regulations.


Electric Fence System of Compliance Certificate


If your property has an electric fence, an additional “electrical” compliance certificate is required. This document is necessitated by the Electrical Machinery Regulations of 2011, which is issued under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993. All homeowners whose property makes use of an electric fence must have an Electric Fence System Certificate of Compliance. However, this requirement does not apply to systems installed before 2012, but rather to systems where alterations have been made or properties where a change of ownership occurs.


Gas Certificate of Compliance


As of 2009 the Regulation 17 of the Pressure Equipment Regulations (OHS ACT of 1993) came into effect. This regulation states that a Gas Certificate of Conformity must be issued when a liquid gas appliance has been fitted on the property, and a change of ownership takes place.  This certificate is valid for a period of five years and has to be issued by an authorised and registered member of the Liquified Petroleum Gas Safety Association of Southern Africa.


Beetle Infestation Clearance Certificate


While this is not a mandatory compliance certificate by law, it has become a general practice for home sellers to provide the buyer with a Beetle Infestation Clearance Certificate. Specifically, in most coastal regions, where it is often stipulated in most sales agreements. As parts of KZN is known for woodborer problems, banks and insurance companies are likely to request this certificate is the home is located within an area which is known to be infested.


If you are thinking about selling your home and want to know more about the compliance process, contact the dedicated team at AMC Hunter INC today. With years of experience in property transfers, we have all the insights to help you obtain your various compliance certificates.

Back To Top